Monday, October 27, 2008

These should be my words

Whenever family and friends found out that I'm traveling by myself, I would be met with sympathy and concern. They never quite understood the feeling that I get when I'm waiting to board a plane or a train with an impending adventure. It could be boarding a plane to CA, a train to Nebraska, flying to India or Europe, or just driving to Chicago. It's this special feeling that wells inside of me that I'm quite content to ponder and meditate on in my own heart. It made me glad when I read an essay in this amazing little book called Cold Tangerines. I'm not by myself in treasuring the joy of traveling alone.

"...It began a love affair with traveling, and even more than that, traveling alone. I felt so small and so anonymous, surrounded by the sounds and smells and sights of a place I'd only read about, and I could go as quickly or as slowly as I wanted to... When you're with someone else, you share each discovery, but when you are alone, you have to carry each experience with you like a secret, something you have to write on your heart, because there's no other way to preserve it."
-Shawna Niequist

No comments: