Sunday, July 29, 2007

change of seasons


6 weeks are up, meaning most of the other international interns are heading back. Amy and Megan left last night, which was very sad for me. And my other friends leave either today or tomorrow night. Very soon it will be me, Elise and Uwe. It's hard to describe my emotions right now. I'm sad to see people leave, but at the same time I'm excited to begin the next portion of my stay here. Things will be different. Oh so different. I'm already getting involved in some different things and pursuing different opportunities in the slum areas and in the schools. And I'm also a bit frustrated at stuff I'm missing back home. Its been an emotionally charged summer for all of us in different ways I believe. I feel like someone at some point needs to teach us how to process. I missed that lesson in school and I feel like I'm frequently just a mess 'cause I don't know what to do with the different lessons I'm learning.

This morning I remembered that I am definitely in India! As most of you know, I was quite involved in the jh at my church back home. Needless to say, I was very excited when I was made aware that they were trying to start up a youth program at my church here! I went to the 'vision' meeting this morning. What an adventure. I know I often got frustrated with meeting back home. I assure you it won't happen again :) The whole time sitting there I had no idea what the goals or purpose of the meeting was. It was everyone brainstorming and saying the same thing and in my western mind I kept having to remind myself that I'm in India and meetings aren't task oriented and linear and direct. It was my first mostly Indian meeting here so it was a good cultural reminder!

But it looks like there is a chance I'll get to lead a small group of teenage girls, which would make me SO happy considering it is my passion :) and I also found a community group/study that I can join. I'm really excited about it and the women are ones that I enjoy and it will be so beneficial for me to know while I'm here!

1 comment:

Megan said...

My heart hurt leaving you in India. Thinking back upon our last night as we headed off to the airport makes me tear up again. I love you dear friend and am encouraged by how brave you are!